Sunday, April 17, 2011

Telling the Families

This is the story of how Scott and I told our families -


Scott and I knew we wanted to do something fun and memorable in telling our families we were having a baby. For my side this is grandbaby # 7. For Scott’s this is grandbaby # 1. So we wanted a fun story that can be retold over and over again.


Coming up with the plan -


We knew we were going to Kentucky for a weekend, we knew our families liked to eat, and we knew we wanted to tell everyone at the same time. We would have one shot at all of us getting together at the same time - Our traditional Sunday morning breakfast at Ramsey's.


We had hatched the plan about 2 weeks before we went to Kentucky - Scott went and had copies made of our first ultra-sound to give to everyone - the plan was going to work and be AWESOME!


The Plan -


We didn’t want to do anything to elaborate or complicated. Simple is better. We would all arrive at Ramsey’s for breakfast, try to figure out where everyone was sitting, wait on those who are late, and then before we order our food we would make the announcement. Simple!


What went wrong -


There is no doubt it is MY fault this plan fell through. We arrived in Kentucky on Saturday and went straight to Scott’s parent’s house to drop Virgil off before heading to my niece’s birthday party. As soon as we walked in - I looked at Scott and smiled. I don’t know what happened. I couldn’t hang out all day Saturday surrounded by my family and wait until Sunday at breakfast to tell them the news. There was NO way! I was too excited and too happy!


So after a mental debate between Scott and I (think Lilly and Marshal from How I Met Your Mother), he gave in, and we told his parents. Then in the car on the way to my niece’s birthday party we called my Dad to make sure he was going to be there - he said NO! So I ended up telling him over the phone. Then, my step-mom at the birthday party and my sisters Julie and Casey towards the end of the birthday party. There were only 3 people who we ended up sticking to the original plan - My brother and sister-in-law and Scott’s youngest brother. And the only part of the plan that we stayed with was that we told them at Ramsey’s on Sunday :-).


Moral of the story -


Calling an audible and being able to change your plans at the drop of a hat is one way to prepare you for parenthood. Well, that’s what I am telling myself anyway :-)

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done :) Way to stay "bent at the knees"! I can only imagine that everyone was very happy!!

    ReplyDelete